Before you travel to Austria, find out about visa restrictions. The nationals of the Schengen Agreement countries do not require a visa. However citizens of countries outside the Schengen Agreement should apply for a visa. There are several types of visas depending on the duration of stay and the number of entries. For more info on whether you need to apply for a visa to enter Austria, visit the Austrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website. Before sending or bringing in your application, contact the nearest Consulate or Embassy to verify your information about the required documents and the visa fee.
Who Requires a Visa
- Nationals of EU countries, the US, Canada, Australia, Japan, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland do not require a visa.
- For a stay of up to 3 months nationals of the US, Canada and Australia do not require a visa.
- For a stay up to 6 months nationals of Japan do not require a visa.
- For a stay up to 3 months nationals of Andorra, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Ecuador, Guatemala, Israel, Jamaica, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, San Marino, Singapore, the Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Uruguay, Venezuela do not require a visa.
- For a stay up to 90 days nationals of Chile, Colombia, El Salvador, Estonia, Hungary, Korea, Latvia and Lithuania do not require a visa.
- For a stay up 30 days nationals of the Czech Republic do not require a visa.
- Transit passengers on their journey by the same or first connecting aircraft who have obtained a valid onward validation stamp or return documentation and who do not leave the airport do not need a transit visa.
- The residents of some countries who pass through Austria always require a transit visa even if they do not leave the airport. For more information check with the Austrian Embassy in your country.
The validity of a visa
The validity of a visa depends on the type of visa obtained.
Documents required to get a visa
During the visa application process, a passport valid for at least three months beyond the length of stay is required by all except: EU nationals and Swiss nationals holding a valid ID card. EU nationals are only required to produce evidence of their nationality in order to be allowed into to a member state. This evidence is a valid national identity card or a valid national passport. Possession of a return ticket and evidence of sufficient funds may not be required.
You may need these documents to get a visa:
- A completed application form.
- 2 passport-sized photographs
- Paid fees for the visa
- Letter from employer, university or school indicating the reason for the visit
- Proof of sufficient means to stay in Austria
The cost of a visa
The cost of a visa depends on the time needed to issue a visa:
1-30 days: 25 euros
31-90 (single entry) days: 35 euros
31-90 (double or multiple entry) days: 50 euros
Embassy Contact Information:
Embassies and Consulates of Austria to Other Countries
Note: The following figures are provisional. The factual prices and regulations may differ from the one enclosed in this guide. For first-hand information about visas to Austria, please visit the Austrian Embassy nearest to your place of residence.